Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Book Club: Mission Success


Last night was the inaugural book club meeting. I'd say it was a success. I hosted at our house and there were six of us. Two couldn't make it and one was a no-show, so there are nine of us total in the group. We discussed "A Thousand Splendid Suns" by Khaled Hosseini and it was an interesting chat. Everyone seemed to really like the book, and it was good to hear that it was a title that some of them normally wouldn't have chosen.

Since it was our very first meeting, I decided to have a door prize. Nothing like a little bribe incentive to get people to the meeting. The prize included a set of book lights and a handmade bookmark. I'd never sewn on paper before, and I gotta say...it was fun!



Everyone was very excited that I decided to organize a book club, and it seems like everyone is really into the idea! Every month, a new member will select the book and lead the discussion. Next up, "Harvesting the Heart" by Jodi Picoult.

"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." - Chinese Proverb

2 comments:

African Kelli said...

That bookmark is super cute. And I absolutely adored that book. His writing is simple and his storytelling skills are superb!

Anonymous said...

Great pics! Love that bookmark!! I totally cried in that book. Glad you ended up reading it.