Wednesday, February 4, 2009

These Words...

...from that mouth. Truly amazing!


It's incredible to witness the evolution of thought and speech and to watch my little baby turn into a little boy right before my eyes. Just in the last few weeks, every day brings something new and exciting.

The Evolution of Words. Words are evolving and phrases (dare I say even short sentences) are developing. Baba, Dada and Mama are now Bottle, Daddy and Mommy (sometimes Mom). Ryne is now putting phrases and sentences together. For example, what used to simply be Thank You and Bye-bye is now "Thank you, Mommy" and "Bye-bye, Daddy." Last week we were at a playdate and Ryne was sitting on my lap. I reached around him to give him a little snack and he turned around, looked up at me, smiled and said "Thank you, Mommy" which sounds like "Day Doo Mommy!" It was melt-my-heart-do-whatever-you-want-for-the-rest-of-your-life-I'll-never-get-mad-at-you CUTE! He also just started saying "Where are you?" which sounds something like "Ahh Ooo?" This usually happens in the morning when he's waking up. First, he'll talk for several minutes with random babbling, and eventually that turns into calling for me (and sometimes Daddy) "Mama, Mama, Mommy, MOM!" Then, if I'm not fast enough, it turns into "Mommy, ahh ooo?"

Mr. Independent. Ryne wants to do everything himself these days! It's exciting (and sometimes a little frustrating) that he is exerting his independence and "big boy" status. As you can imagine, things take much longer to do these days. One of his new favorite phrases is "Ry Ry do/did." Can Mommy help? "No! Ry Ry Do!" All. Day. Long!

A Colorful Character. Ryne's learning his colors! He can say (and recognize) red, blue and (gasp) pink! He can also say yellow and green, but sometimes needs a little help associating those two colors. Orange is up next, but that's a toughie. We're also avoiding purple right now because that confuses him when he says "blue" and we correct him and tell him it's purple. So, for right now, blue is the new purple!

What Do You Say? Ryne knows the sounds that most animals make, although we're constantly learning new ones. Kitty (Meow), Cow (Moo), Sheep (Baa), Lion (Roooaaaarrrr), Snake (Ssssss), Mouse (ick, ick), Donkey (Eee Aww), Bird (teet, teet), Horse (Neeeee), Duck (Gack, Gack) and Puppy (pup, pup - not sure if that one really counts).

That's the latest on Ryne. I'm sure I'm forgetting something, but that will have to wait until the next update.

1 comment:

Lin and Didi Lawson said...

Ryne is so darn cute and smart. I love to read your blogs about him and his progress.