Monday, June 23, 2008

Final Weekend

This past weekend was our last in Paris. It was bittersweet. We’re so excited to get back home, but we’ll definitely miss some things about living here. We decided to go back to Montmartre and Sacre Coeur on Saturday. It was a very warm day and super crowded, so it was a quick trip, but well worth it. The beauty of Sacre Coeur is unexplainable!




Montmartre Train


Artist Square


Fresh produce

We didn’t feel like cooking Saturday night so we decided to cash in our free meal at our favorite pasta place around the corner. We had finally accumulated enough stamps for a free dish and wanted to use it before we leave. I left the house a little after 6:30pm and what do you know?! They were closed! I guess they close at 6pm on Saturdays. Ridiculous! Doesn’t anyone work around here? Why do they close so early on a Saturday night? Hmmm…maybe so they could go home and rest up in order to be CLOSED the next day too! Pure madness I tell you! So, instead I made a quick stop at the supermarket and we threw something together. We’re cashing in our free meal later this week for sure…it’s the least we deserve after being such loyal customers!

On Sunday we wanted to visit Parc des Buttes Chaumont on the opposite side of town. We’d never been there before, and we’re so glad we went. It was really nice and much different than the other Parisian parks we’ve been to. The park was opened to the public in 1867. Prior to becoming a public park, the land was used as gallows for criminal executions, was a lime quarry and then even a waste ground. You would never know it today. Although all artificial and man-made, there are grassy hills with 5 kilometers of paths winding through the park. The park also boasts several cliffs, bridges (one called Suicide Bridge), a grotto with a waterfall, a lake, and several gardens. The most prominent feature of the park is the circular monument modeled after an ancient Roman Temple. We lucked out on the weather too. Earlier that morning we had a thunderstorm, but then the sky cleared and we had a sunny and slightly overcast day, not blaringly hot like the day before. A perfect day!

Our little tiger

Taking a stroll on the grass with Pehr


Temple monument


Waterfall


Suicide Bridge


Suspension bridge and the temple on the cliff

3 comments:

Em said...

What a beautiful place. I love all the great pictures. Pretty soon you will be back in the USA where everything is open 24/7. Sometimes I think maybe the French have it figured out, unless I run out of milk of course.

Anonymous said...

WOW. that park is beautiful! I hope someday I will be able to spend enough time in paris to visit EVERYTHING... Not sure if that will happen- there is too much to see as Im sure you noticed by how quick your time there flew by!

Jackie, Tyler, Abry and Kaden said...

Suicide bridge??!! Wonder why it's called that! Can't wait for you guys to come back! Have a safe trip home and we are looking forward to seeing all 3 of you!