Thursday, June 12, 2008

How Big is Ryne?

I took Ryne to have his 1 year check up today. He’s almost 13 months old now, but oh well! Better late than never. I found a doctor who spoke English and she was very nice. At first I was nervous since the receptionist didn’t speak much English when I called to set the appointment. She said “Thursday, 12 June at 2 past 30 o’clock”. I thought maybe she meant “thirteen” o’clock since they use the 24-hour clock here. I thought that 2 after the hour was a weird appointment time though. So, I asked her “One o’clock?” but then she said in French “Deux heures et demie” and I understood – 2:30. Weird that I would understand French better than English in that instance!

Anyway, Ryne is 25 pounds 1 oz (11.370 kg) and 30.315 in (77 cm). His head circumference is 18.9 in (48 cm)! I had to convert everything after I got home! He's: 75% percentile for weight, 47% for length and he's got a big head (75-90%)! She commented on how big his head is, but said “he has a big brain!” I agree! She also said “he’s perfect!” Again, I agree. Hey, I kinda like this doctor!

Here’s a picture of Ryne after we asked the question: “How big is Ryne?” SO BIG!

Yesterday Ryne took 2-4 steps a couple of times throughout the day. But, I don't consider it "walking" yet. More like "stepping!" Should be soon though...

He also likes to hide away in his “cave” as we call it. Basically he gets under his highchair next to the entertainment center and just hangs out in there. It’s interesting to see him exert his independence. He peeks out at us every now and then to see if we can see him. We try and pretend like we’re not watching, but usually he catches us! He’s like a little packrat in his cave though. He takes all kinds of things in there with him…I never know what I’ll find when I clean up at the end of the day: toys (of course), books, cups, lotion, diaper rash cream, my makeup bag, etc.

The "cave"

Ryne’s always been interested in our phones, but now he pretends like he’s using them. It’s the cutest thing ever. He’s such a little mimic. He flips open my cell phone and starts talking on it. Once he even accidentally called Pehr’s blackberry. Good thing it was only Pehr and not the US Embassy, Police or Fire Dept which are all programmed into my phone as well! He loves talking on the house phone too (luckily that one only accepts incoming calls). Most of the time he puts the phone towards the back of his head and talks – hilarious! But, sometimes he gets it right. I’ve taken a couple of pictures, but it just doesn’t convey how truly cute it really is! I’d take some video, but I can never capture anything with video since as soon as he sees the video camera he just wants to play with it so he stops whatever he’s doing – no fun!





Ryne is saying (or trying to say) lots of things now. Some words are only understood by me and/or Pehr, but hey, it works! I’ll try to add a list to the right side of my blog so I can keep a running tab on his new ramblings. I’m sure I won’t remember them all (I need to get better at writing them down right away). He’s quite the little chatterbox! We're still working on "Go Cowboys" - hopefully he'll have that one down by September!

1 comment:

Em said...

Ryne is at such a fun age. I can't believe how much he talks, It's great!