Last night I was flossing my teeth before bed. I was working in the back of my mouth near one of my molars and it was a tight squeeze and the floss got stuck. When I finally got it free, I felt that my bite was a little off. I had Pehr look in my mouth and it turns out that part of my tooth came loose! I could wiggle it and it kept “slipping” down so that I would bite on it whenever I closed my mouth. It didn’t hurt, but it was very awkward when I bit down. I slept fine but this morning when I woke up I noticed it was slipping down a lot more…and then it fell out! So weird! It’s a small sliver of my tooth and now there’s a small gap back there! It still doesn’t hurt, thank goodness! I asked Pehr if the Tooth Fairy would give me money if I put it under my pillow. He said the Tooth Fairy doesn’t travel to France. Bummer…just my luck!
We also thought the Tooth Fairy might come early for Ryne. Yesterday he was doing some speed crawling and somehow tripped himself up and hit his face on the hardwood floor. He started screaming and his gums were covered in blood. I didn't do too well seeing his bloody mouth, but Pehr was right there and kept a cold, wet washcloth on his gums until the bleeding stopped (Ryne was not happy about that!). He must've just bitten his lip but I thought for sure he had lost some teeth with all of that blood! He didn’t even get a fat lip! Just another day in the Lawson household…
Sunday, June 22, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Origins
[edit] The development of the Tooth Fairy legend
At one time in Europe, there was a tradition to bury baby teeth that fell out.[3] The most commonly accepted belief by academics is the fairy's development from the tooth mouse, depicted in an 18th century French language fairy tale. In "La Bonne Petite Souris," a mouse changes into a fairy to help a good Queen defeat an evil King by hiding under his pillow to torment him and knocking out all his teeth.
This combination of ancient international traditions has evolved into one that is distinct in the United States, Australia, United Kingdom, and other Anglophonic cultures. Folklorist Tad Tuleja suggests three factors that have turned this folk belief into a national custom: postwar affluence, a child-directed family culture, and media encouragement.
Rosemary Wells, a former professor at the Northwestern University Dental School, found archival evidence that supports the origin of different tooth fairies in the United States around 1900. The Tooth Fairy, a three-act playlet for children by Esther Watkins Arnold, was published in 1927. On May 28, 1938, MGM released The Little Rascals short entitled, The Awful Tooth, in which some of the gang agreed to pull their teeth out to make money courtesy of the tooth fairy.[4] The first written reference to one specific symbol in American literature did not appear until the 1949 book, "The Tooth Fairy" by Lee Rothgow. Dr. Wells created a Tooth Fairy Museum in 1993 in her hometown of Deerfield, Illinois.
The modern image of the Tooth Fairy has been shaped by depictions in various media. The fairy's first major appearance in popular culture in the United States came in the Peanuts comic strip. In a March 1961 strip, new character Frieda asks if the prices are set by the American Dental Society. The character of the Tooth Fairy has also appeared in several children's and an adults' books and films, as well as an eponymous radio series.
sorry for the long post but now you can tell Pehr that the tooth fairy has origins in France, thus put that tooth under your pillow! Enjoy your last few days in France! We hope that Seattle will soon be in your future plans for a visit!
Ryan, Jen, and Joy
You learn something new everyday. My older kids have become somewhat sceptical about tooth fairies and Santa Claus etc. So I have explained that if they don't believe they don't get anything. Both kids put a tooth under their pillows last week! LOL
WOW! Thanks for all the info. I better get big bucks under my pillow tonight then!
Em...how much is a tooth worth these days?!
One dollar for the first tooth and 50 cents after that. So you are due a whopping 50 cents!
Post a Comment