Thursday, April 3, 2008

Going Bananas!

One of Ryne’s favorite foods is bananas. He’s always loved them. In fact, when he was going through a particularly picky phase around 8 months old, he would eat anything, as long as I puree’d it with some banana. I still give him puree’d banana (although I’m making it chunkier and chunkier lately) every morning with pears and apples. Bananas don’t freeze well once puree’d, so I have to make them fresh every morning. I use the Magic Bullet blender to make all of his purees. At first, Ryne didn’t mind the noise that the blender makes. Actually, it was kind of like the whole Pavlov theory – he would get very excited when he heard it because he knew he was getting some yummy food. Well, ever since we moved to Paris, he hates the sound. If he’s in the kitchen with me and sees me get the blender out, he squints his eyes and cringes his face. Once he hears the sound he screams and starts crying (his “scared” cry). Poor guy! So, eventually I found out that as long as I’m holding him when I’m blending something (which seems weird because he’s so close to the noise) he’s fine. I say “OK, get ready. 1, 2, 3” and he cringes and kinda hugs me but he’s fine. The last couple of days though, that didn’t even work. He is so terrified of that thing! It’s fine when I’m making my big batches of food to freeze because that’s on the weekend and Pehr’s around to distract Ryne and play with him in the other room. But, this morning I didn’t even want to go through that again, so I said forget it! I’ll just chop up some bananas into small pieces and coat them with Cheerio dust (so it’s not slippery and easier to pick up) and see if he’ll eat it. SUCCESS! He loved it! We had no gagging and he even fed himself several of the pieces! YAY!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's great he loves his fruit! :)
Enjoy every minute with him. I'm still trying to figure out how to slow down time. ~D

Brandie said...

A Magic Bullet huh? I'll have to remember that when we get to the solid food phase here in a few months.

As moms we always have to be cleaver to get our kids to do things without fussing - way to go on the zipity-do-dah song!

Lady Lawson said...

Brandie - YES! I love the Magic Bullet! Good for smoothies too and Jeff would love it for homemade salsa and guacamole!