Saturday, December 13, 2008

Sample Scammer Emails

I needed to share some sample scammer emails that I've been receiving in regards to my Craig's List debacle.

I really wanted to write back to each of them a long, scathing email, but Pehr convinced me to just let it go. So, this is my way of venting and hopefully preventing the same thing from happening to any of you! Now you will know what to look for.

1st Scammer’s email (this is the one that almost "got me". Notice they fail to mention that I need to ship the item to NIGERIA!):

I am glad to recieve your mail,and i hope we can do business,any way am ok with the amount you want to sell the item.i would have love to come and pick it up by myself but due to the nature of my job that made me to be out of town right now.So i need you to do me a favour now,Provide me with your paypal address for the payment or your full Name and Home Address for a money order payment, i want you to consider the item sold to me and i will like you to remove your item from the craiglist site and have it package in other for the shipment because as soon as i have the information of the payment i requested,i will do the payment immediatly,including the shipping fee. so that you will ship it fast to enable my son terry received it before christmas. Waiting to recieve the information.
Thanks

2nd Loser’s email (this is after I'd responded to a potential buyer that I would only accept cash and local pickup. This one really made me mad...claiming his sone is doing pastoral work - GRRR!):

Actually, I want to buy the digital camcorder for my son who is Looking at his call to the priesthood. He is presently doing his Pastoral Year in St. Jude's Catholic Parish in Africa,after he had done 2years of graduate work in theology at St. Mary's Seminary in Houston. He laments that life in Africa is very boring although he is gradually adapting to the new environment. I would love to meet for the purchase but at the moment, I have a very tight schedule due to the nature of my job, I work at the South West Research Institute(SwRI) headquartered in San Antonio, Texas. So, I would like you to help me ship it to him.Don't bother yourself, i will take care of the shipping cost. I have a PAYPAL account and can pay you right away.I will forward his address to you for shipping as soon as the payment reaches you.I would prefer the shipping through USPS-EMS for safer delivery. Shipping it through USPS-EMS will cost around $80. So, I will be paying you $230 for both the cost price and the shipping fee.I will be very grateful to hear from you soonest.
Kind Regards,
Mr. Richard Nnamani
6220 Culebra Road
P.O. Drawer 28510
San Antonio, Texas USA

3rd Jerk’s email (notice he spells even his own last "name" wrong?):

Hello
My Name Is Davi Cahp Am From Calif Yuba City USA I Want To Know If Your Item Is Still Much Available For Sale.....Get Back To Me With The Price And How Much To Ship To Me So I Can Only Pay On Pay Pal Thanks And God Bless You
You Can Contact Me At davi_chap01@yahoo.com

2 comments:

Em said...

I'm glad you didn't mail anything, but it is still terribly annoying. Good Luck!

Lin and Didi Lawson said...

From the looks of it, they're all from Nigeria. When I worked at the UA I received at least one such email per week, saying that someone's late husband has stashed money away in a Swiss bank account and that they need to get it (launder it, I guess), and that they need my help to deposit the money into my own bank account, then they would withdraw it from there, and I would make thousands of dollars in profit. Yea, right.