Monday, March 31, 2008

American Book Sale: A Bust

On Saturday we also went for a walk and stopped by an American used book sale that was going on at a church not far from us. It was a fundraiser for SOS – an English language emotional support hotline in Paris (hey…you never know we may need to use it one day)! I thought it was a great idea, especially after my disappointment with the library. We were specifically in search of books for Ryne (board books in particular – paper ones don’t stand a chance)!

When we arrived at the church, it was very busy. We left the stroller upstairs with all of the others and went down into the basement where the books were laid out. They were divided up into categories and I went to the Kids’ Corner right away. I searched and searched through piles of books but didn’t find any board books. A woman who had gotten there right before me got her hands on a Sandra Boynton book that we don’t already own – that would’ve been a great find! There were a ton of people down there, which was great for the fundraiser, but it was so hot and stuffy. I finally gave up and figured that we had arrived too late – although only an hour into the sale. So, after only spending 10 min there, we got ready to leave.

When we got back upstairs to get the stroller, I realized that someone had stolen my new gloves! I had left them, along with my knit cap, Ryne’s blanket and our umbrella in the stroller. I couldn’t believe it! They weren’t even fancy gloves or anything – only cost me 5 euros at that discount clothing place I posted about before. Barely even had them for a week and they are gone! Grrr…I was so mad! I couldn’t believe that someone would steal something at a fundraiser in a church! Boy, come to think of it, I’m still mad! And I refuse to buy gloves again…so it better warm up soon!!!

1 comment:

SPG said...

Neh, being at a church doesn't matter. If you're the kind of person who's going to steal gloves, you're going to steal gloves, regardless of where you are.