Friday, March 14, 2008

What Do I Look Like?!

Lately a lot of random strangers (usually Parisians) have come up to me on the street asking me for directions. What do I look like?! I must look like a local! Maybe it’s because I’m always walking quite hurriedly and acting like I know where I’m going – key word: acting! Usually I just say “Pardon. Je ne sais pas” (Sorry. I don’t know) or “Je ne comprend pas,” (I don’t understand) but yesterday I was actually able to help someone! I recognized the street name so I whipped out my tourist map and showed her where we were and pointed out the street that she was looking for. Her: “Ah, merci beaucoup!” (Thank you very much) Me: “Je vous en prie” (You’re welcome). I walked away with a smile on my face – I was able to help a Parisian with directions! Ha!

I’m usually pretty reluctant to stop when a stranger approaches because a lot of times it’s beggars or people handing out political flyers. As far as the beggars go, there’s a weird “organized” begging system here in the tourist spots. We were naïve initially, but now we know better. They will come up to you and say “Do you speak English?” So, at first we would respond “Yes” thinking maybe we could help a fellow Anglophone and also just relieved to speak English. But then as soon as you say “Yes” they show you this hand-written card in English begging for money. They’re obviously targeting American, or at least English-speaking, tourists. There are a ton of these types of beggars and we’ve seen them at all of the main tourist areas. But, now we know better and try to avoid them at all costs or simply respond “Non” or “Ich spreche Deutsch.”


I also always try to be quite aware of my surroundings at all times, especially on the Metro because pick-pocketing is a lucrative business in Paris. Many work in teams aiming to distract while the other gets away with the goods. I've heard they will either bump into you (which is quite common anyway) or will offer to help (like with the stroller) and then take advantage of your vulnerability. Sorry…got a little off topic there, but educational nonetheless I’m sure!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interesting. All these things to get accustomed to in a new country. So, did you study French before going there? ~D