Monday, May 5, 2008

My Trip to the Market

Sunday morning while Ryne slept in, I took a trip by myself to the outdoor market. It was a beautiful day! Pehr told me when I left, as he usually does, to be careful. I feel safe walking alone around this city. There weren’t many people on the streets with it being a Sunday and a holiday weekend. I passed a guy who was sitting on his motorcycle, drinking his bottle of beer (at 10am) and he said something to me in French. I ignored him, not to be rude but to be cautious, and plus I couldn’t really tell if he was talking to me or mumbling to himself. So, as I continue on my way to the market this is my thought process: “If I yell, would anyone hear me? OK, I think that ‘Help!’ in French is ‘Aidez-moi’ and ‘Stop’ in French is ‘Arretez-vous’. Wow…that’s a lot of syllables to say in a moment of distress. ‘Help’ and ‘Stop’ are just one syllable – quick and to the point. In French it’s at least three syllables. Would I have time to get all of those sounds out in time if I needed to?...” Anyway, by the time I was done with my thought I was at the market – whew!

I arrived back home with my goodies – some fresh fruits and veggies, a baguette, some pastries and a bouquet of lilacs! I saw lilac bushes while we were in Bayeux and thought they were so pretty. They're always selling flowers at the market, but I never think to buy any. When I passed by the vendor said “trois euros” (3 euros) which is not a bad price at all so I got them – aren’t they gorgeous?! Plus, Ryne’s really into trees and flowers right now and I knew he would like them! I don't have one of those cool roller bags that all of the locals have...but I have my trusty GE nylon re-usable sack! And it's earth-friendly too!

Also, after I got home I looked up some French distress translations and I found that “Mayday” is very similar to “M’aider”, which also means “Help me.” Good to know. Lesson learned: When in doubt, shout “Mayday!” Although, that may not have worked in that particular instance since it was the Labor Day or May Day holiday and if I shouted "Mayday!" people might have thought I was just really excited about the holiday. Who knows?! I'm just glad I didn't have to test that theory!

No comments: