Tuesday, August 5, 2008

The Maritime Aquarium

On Sunday we went to a local aquarium in town. We had a good time, but it was a lot smaller than we thought it would be…especially for the price of admission! Plus, traffic was crazy and some of the streets were closed because there was an open air art fair going on right near the aquarium (poor planning on our part)! Only in Connecticut does it take half an hour to go 5 miles. Regardless, it was a nice time out as a family. Some of the indoor pics didn't turn out that great because there wasn't a flash, but I thought I'd share anyway...



We saw sharks, jellyfish and even got to pet sting rays. Ryne liked the harbour seals, river otters and sea turtle best (the sea turtle kept circling around the glass where we were standing - we think it thought Ryne was a meal!). But, mostly all Ryne wanted to do was walk and watch all of the older kids run around. I'm sure he was just glad to be out of the hotel!


The aquarium has a very rare albino alligator on special exhibit – one of only 44 in existence! That was pretty cool, but they must have just fed it before we got there because it just sat there and didn’t move at all, so it wasn’t too exciting. Do alligators sleep with their eyes open, because I'm pretty sure it was sleeping. It was worth it though since legend has it that staring into the pink eyes of a white alligator brings prosperity and good fortune. And, who couldn’t use a little prosperity and good fortune?! I know I could!



Speaking of fortune, when we paid for our parking at the automated teller, we got 14 bright and shiny $1 gold coins as change! Flashback to Europe carrying all of that coinage! Looks like coins are making a comeback... Better than getting 56 quarters back I guess! Although that would sure come in handy for doing laundry downstairs in the coin-op... Sorry, got a little off topic there.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the Pic of Ryne and Dad walking. Looks like Ryne has his "shoes" on. Cool Aligator!

Anonymous said...

What a fun day as a family!