Friday, August 8, 2008

Running on Empty

There's a gym where we're staying, but it doesn't have an elliptical - which is my machine of choice. They have a stairmaster (yuck!), a bike and a treadmill. Pehr and I have been taking turns watching Ryne while the other one goes down to the gym. I like the bike because it's super easy (but I guess that defeats the purpose of "exercise," huh?!) and I can read a book at the same time. As a busy Mommy, multi-tasking is very important!

Well, as I've expressed to some of you before, I'm interested in signing up for a 5K (or about 3.1 miles) sometime soon. I've never done one before and think it would be great to train and complete one. Then maybe do a 10K after that. But, I think that's as ambitious as I'll get in the running department. Anyway, since we have access to a treadmill I decided I'd give it a try and start my "training." HA! I'm pathetic! I used to consider myself somewhat in shape. I mean, I can do an hour on the elliptical and burn 600+ calories in one session, but running ONE mile on the treadmill and I'm mush! Plus, these were 10.5 minute miles...not good at all! I just started and I already feel defeated. But, I'll keep at it and I know it'll get easier if I slowly increase my distance. So, we'll see...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you were her I'd do the 5K with you! ~D

Anonymous said...

Oops..I meant "here" not "her." That's what I get for typing too fast! ~D

Lin and Didi Lawson said...

Just keep at it, Erin. It'll get easier. You can do it.

Brandie said...

YOU CAN DO IT!
GO Erin Go!!

I actually love running. Crazy but true. I haven't hit the pavement in over a year and a half. It usually takes me a few weeks to build myself back up to running a base (3-5 miles), but this time I think it may take longer - a LOT longer.

My whole body is mush! I need some serious muscle tone. Wish you lived closer (way closer), so we could run together.