Tuesday, September 9, 2008

My Superhero Name

If I were a Superhero, my name would be...Stealthy Mommy!


About 10 minutes after I put Ryne to bed last night, I realized that his toothbrush was in his bed! Sometimes after we brush his teeth, he likes to take it into his room and suck on it while we read our stories. Anyway, I saw him put it in his crib and meant to get it out before I put him down, but I forgot - doh! What to do? Should I take the risk and go and get it out? I was so worried that he would stick it down his throat and choke. I know, I'm paranoid, but that's my job, right? Pehr thought Ryne would be fine, but told me if I was going to worry about it all night then I should just go get it.

Then the question remained, should I go in while he's still drowsy or wait until he's out cold but risk waking him out of a sound sleep? See, the problem is that with this humid weather out here, the door to his room has "grown" and sticks when you open it. After much thought, I decided I might as well just go in and get it. I opened the door, but lifted the handle while doing so and it only stuck a little bit - whew! I entered his semi-dark room (thank goodness for his Dallas Cowboys night light!) and used my cell phone for extra undercover lighting. He was already conked out - snoring away! I checked the entire crib, trying not to breathe and risk waking him up, but found nothing. Was I going crazy? Did I already take it out of the crib? No, I didn't think so. I used my cell phone light to search the entire floor of his room. At this point the cats had both found their way into his room! Ahhh! I grabbed Callie by the tail just as she was about to make a dash under Ryne's bed. I was about to give up and leave when I thought I would check his crib one last time. I checked again, and still nothing. He was sleeping on his tummy, with his legs and arms curled up under him, using Cubbie as a pillow (Aww, so sweet...mental picture taking time). But, back to the mission at hand. There was a slight gap under his belly and I figured, what the heck? So I reached under him and...tada! I found the toothbrush! Whew!

Stealthy Mommy saves the day...again! When we were in Paris I had to sneak back into his room because I realized I left a stinky diaper in there - oops! In Paris I not only had to deal with a sticky door, but super squeaky old hardwood floors. Mommy to the rescue!

4 comments:

SPG said...

Stealthy Mommy has spikes on her boots and gloves. Not very Ryne-friendly, if you ask me.

Lady Lawson said...

LOL! Good catch! That's why I'm only Stealthy Mommy after bedtime! They're part of my Protective Mommy Power! He he he!

Em said...

Good Job! That definitely qualifies as a super power.

Brandie said...

Funny! GREAT mommy story.
:0)