Tuesday, September 9, 2008

PSA: Dryer Lint Screens

I received an email Forward from a family friend about dryer lint screens and I thought it wouldn't hurt to pass it on. Some of you may have also received it. Anyway, I haven't tested this theory myself since our dryer is brand new, but I think it's worth a shot to test any old dryers out there just in case.

PSA: Dryer Lint Screens

The clothes dryer stopped drying. The repairman went to the dryer and pulled out the lint filter. It was clean. We always clean the lint from the filter after every load of clothes. He told us that he wanted to show us something. He took the filter over to the sink, and ran hot water over it. I am sure you know what your dryer's lint filter looks like. WELL...the hot water just sat on top of the screen! It did not go through it at all! He told us that dryer sheets cause a waxy film to build up over the screen, and this does not let the air pass through, so the heating unit overheats and burns out. You cannot SEE the film, but it's there. This is also what causes dryer's to catch fire, and potentially burn your house down with it! He said the best way to keep your dryer working for a very long time (and to keep your electric bill lower because your clothes will dry faster) is to clean that filter after every load, and wash it with hot soapy water with an old toothbrush (or other brush) every three months. He said that makes the life of the dryer at least twice as long! How about that? Learn something new everyday!

###

Now, I know you're all curious and are probably running your lint screens over to your sink to see if this is a fact or a myth. Please let me know...because I know I'm curious!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting. You know I'm going home tonight to run water over my lint screen! ~D

Anonymous said...

Im a dork. But I ran downstairs right away to try it since my dryer has been brutally slow lately.... and the water ran right through :) Thanks alot Mr. Repair man. lol.

Anonymous said...

Water ran right through my 18 yr old dryer lint filter and I've used those dryer sheets for most if not all those 18 yrs.