Well, in an effort to try and cook something new and different, and get out of my comfort zone a little, I had the crazy idea on Saturday evening to make Maultaschen. Maultaschen is a German stuffed dumpling, similar to a pot sticker. My sister-in-law posted the recipe on our family cooking blog, Cooking with the Lawsons, and I thought I'd give it a shot.
I took out my German measuring "cup" which, to be completely honest, up until this point had mostly been just a pretty decoration in my kitchen. But, since a couple of items in the recipe are measured in grams, it was necessary. Mehl is flour in German, thanks Pehr! I'll be using it a lot more often now that it has been christened!
Pehr actually ended up helping (a lot) with this recipe. I don't work a lot with dough, so he helped roll it out - the key is the dough needs to be very thin (which requires quite a bit of elbow grease)! Anyway, it was a lot of work, but well worth it! They tasted great and we have a ton in the freezer. We even fried some up the next day for dinner...yummy!
These are the types of meals that Pehr grew up on, and are part of his heritage, so I'd love to start incorporating more German cuisine into our dinner rotation. That's probably easier said than done. We'll see how brave I am...
2 comments:
That's great that you tried the Maultaschen! That's actually a tough one to start out with - you should feel very proud!
I'm impressed!
Post a Comment